|Title:||Brent Civic Centre, London, UK|
|Markets:||Parks and Green Spaces, Cultural|
|Team:||Gillespies, Hopkins and Growth Industry|
The design of a series of multifunctional gardens spaces for Brent Civic Centre — a new building that brings together public services currently spread across 14 buildings in the borough. The new landscapes provide a dramatic setting for a variety of civic functions.
Gillespies designed a series of new public spaces for the Brent Civic Centre — a new Civic Centre designed by Hopkins Architects.
A large garden space has been designed to host multi-faith wedding festivals as well as full range of other civic functions. The design includes water features, mature tree planting and large areas of lawn and planting beds as well as an innovative canopy and large pergola structure. Along with other sustainable measures — such as paving drainage and green roof systems — the public realm design by Gillespies has helped the overall project to achieve a BREEAM rating of Outstanding.
The design of the garden means it can be used as several outdoor rooms, able to cater for groups or for a single outdoor party.
- 2015 BREEAM Award: Winner, Mixed Use and Other Buildings Category
- 2015 RICS London Awards: Regeneration Award — Highly Commended
- 2015 RICS London Awards: Design through Innovation Award
- 2014 RIBA Regional Award
- 2014 Building Magazine: Sustainable Project of the Year
- 2014 British Council for Ofﬁces (BCO): Corporate Workplace Award, London & South East
- 2014 RIBA Regional Sustainability Award
- 2014 Civic Trust Award
- 2014 British Construction Industry Awards: Sustainability Award Highly Commended