|Title:||Bradford City Park, Bradford, UK|
|Team:||Gillespies (lead designer), Arup, Sturgeon North Architects, Fountain Workshop|
The regeneration of Bradford City Centre into a new six-acre, multi-award-winning public space. At its heart is a spectacular ‘Mirror pool’ animated by fountains, lights and mist displays.
Gillespies led the design team from concept to construction to create Bradford’s new City Park. At 3,600 metre square and boasting the UK’s tallest fountain at 30m high, Bradford City Park in West Yorkshire is the UK's largest city-centre water feature.
During the day, a new, open square provides green, shaded areas for visitors to relax and convene, whilst a central pool containing 107 fountains entice people into the shallow waters. As night falls, the square's appearance undergoes a theatrical transformation through a spectacular display of colour, light and motion.
"We are excited by the way that Gillespies has very practically addressed the constraints on the [Bradford Mirror Pool City Park] site whilst at the same time coming forward with design proposals which we, and our regeneration partners Bradford City Council, feel will deliver a truly landmark development."
Maud Marshall, Chief Executive, Bradford Centre for Regeneration
- 2014 Landscape Institute Awards: Highly Commended
- 2013 RICS Pro-Yorkshire Regeneration Award: Highly Commended Bradford’s City Park
- 2013 Urban Design Group: Best Project for the Public Sector
- 2013 RTPI Yorkshire’s Planning Excellence Award
- 2012 LUX Urban Lighting Award
- 2012 Making a Difference in Yorkshire and Humber Awards
- 2012 Association of Town and City Management (ATCM) Awards: Animating Public Space — Shortlisted
- 2012 British Construction Industry (BCI) Awards: Regeneration Award