Project Controller - Split working across London and Oxford
Gillespies is a leading landscape design and masterplanning practice with an outstanding reputation for delivering responsibly designed, transformative and award-winning spaces that add real value to people's lives. We work with forward-thinking clients on pioneering projects that push the boundaries in creativity, innovation and sustainability. We have offices throughout the UK, and an exciting national and international portfolio of projects.
We are currently recruiting for a Project Controller to join Gillespies Finance team (start date ASAP). The post holder will work closely with project managers and assist the Financial Controller, Finance Director and Partners with all aspects of project profitability, project system maintenance, analysis and WIP management answering general financial queries from external and internal stakeholders, working as part of a team with administration staff primarily to support the South Region Gillespies offices.
Please note that due to the pandemic this role will be initially based at home, but post-pandemic you will be required to travel regularly between London and Oxford offices.
Purpose of the role
To assist the Financial Controller, Finance Director and Partners with all aspects of project profitability, project system maintenance, analysis and WIP management, answering general financial queries from external and internal stakeholders, working as part of a team with administration staff primarily to support the South Region Gillespies offices.
- Report on project profitability to senior management and initiate actions to improve profitability, where possible
- Ensure % complete is entered each month on all projects
- Close out open submissions ensuring relevant data is entered for future analysis
- Ensure submission information is fully completed
- Produce win/loss data for submissions
- Close out completed projects
- Ensure contracts are attached to projects and the contract management tab reflects correct and up to date values
- Produce monthly profitability reports for circulation to finance, partners and PMs
- Review project data on a monthly basis, notifying PMs and Partners, where appropriate of any project profitability issues
- Review Planned hours and spend vs Actual hours and spend, raising with PMs/Partners where client over-servicing has occurred
- Assist with resource planning on a weekly basis for both Oxford and London offices
- Ensure billing terms and rate tables are set up correctly
- Ensure the South Region Fee Forecast schedule and Revenue Forecast schedules in the Deltek system are reconciled and agree
- Attend management meetings and record fee information/movement, where required
- Update projects for personnel changes
- Manage sub-consultant costs on larger projects and reconcile these costs with client billing of reimbursable costs
- Assist in promotion and implementation of Vantagepoint enhancements
- The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope and level of the post and delegated by the Financial Controller, Finance Director or Gillespies Partners
- Ideally holding accounting qualification; being a part qualified accountant or working towards it or Qualified by Experience;
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Excel – ideally including pivot tables, V-Lookups, charts, formulae;
- Good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office applications, such as Outlook & Word;
- Good understanding of application of information technology in financial systems;
- Good working knowledge of financial systems and processes;
- Knowledge of accounting for long term contracts and valuation of work in progress on projects
- Good knowledge of accounting procedures;
- Knowledge of Vantagepoint/Deltek would be an advantage
Essential Skills & Experience
- Previous experience with project accounting
- Ability to manage, lead and record the outcome of multiple meetings, following up on actions to be taken
- Strong business acumen
- Record of change management
- Able to produce and manipulate reports in both a tabular manner and graphical format
- Ability to demonstrate a logical and methodical approach with attention to detail and accuracy;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Commercial awareness and excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent planning, organisation and time management skills;
- Ability to work with and influence Project Managers, so that they use key project data to better manage their projects and improve profitability
- Ability to work well under pressure and prioritise multiple requests and tasks to meet essential deadlines;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team across the Gillespies South region;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with internal and external stakeholders at all levels and set up successful working relationships;
- Ability to make sound decisions and escalate any issues to the Financial Controller if needed;
- Ability to explain financial issues in a way that is easily understood by non-financial staff;
- Ability to show sensitivity and objectivity with confidential information on projects, staff, finance.
- Tenacious and persistent;
- Proactive, resilient and adaptable;
- Confident to vocalise suggestions and directly approach Project Managers and Partners with these;
- Customer focused and visible within the organisation;
- Approachable & displaying positive attitude;
- Self-motivated, prepared to initiate work and operate under minimal supervision;
- Flexible, organised and committed approach to work;
- Interested in learning, improving and developing new skills.
Note: Due to the current pandemic our teams are working remotely from home.
Please email your CV and portfolio to London.firstname.lastname@example.org (10MB Max). References will be required.
A competitive salary is on offer and our ‘flexi-hours’ scheme facilitates flexible working arrangements, to allow for a healthy work-life balance.
Gillespies is an equal opportunities employer. We regret that we can only respond to successful applications.
No agencies, please.