Urban Designers (All levels)
Gillespies is a leading landscape design and masterplanning practice with an outstanding reputation for delivering responsibly designed, transformative and award-winning spaces that add real value to people's lives. We work with forward-thinking clients on pioneering projects that push the boundaries in creativity, innovation and sustainability. We have offices throughout the UK, and an exciting national and international portfolio of projects.
We have some new and exciting projects coming into the Practice very soon, therefore we are looking for Junior, Mid-level and Senior Urban Designers, with excellent communication skills and an understanding of place-making in its planning and development context, to join our Urban Design team in London.
Our Urban Design team has a strong focus on multidisciplinary practices and undertakes a variety of projects internationally and nationally, from new cities to public realms. We think strategically in the context of international city making trends, and employ our design skills towards the creation of people-oriented places. We are passionate about urban design, masterplanning and city making and love the wonderful complexity of design challenges it presents.
- Qualification in urban design or architecture
- A strong portfolio showing a wide selection of urban design and masterplanning work across the UK and internationally
- Experience in delivering a variety of scales and contexts including city-wide urban regeneration, urban extensions and new settlements.
- Strong design and technical skills
- Excellent ability to develop, draw and communicate design ideas from early concepts through to technical stages
- Exceptional communication skills. Excellent spoken and written English
- Ability to lead complex projects (senior-level role)
- Ability to lead and mentor junior members of staff (senior-level role)
- A sound understanding of the UK Planning System
- Experience working in the Middle East would be an advantage, but not essential
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Applicants should be motivated all-rounders with a positive attitude and the ability to demonstrate technical abilities, design flair and advanced CAD and presentation skills.
All applicants should have sound technical abilities and demonstrate proficiency in using AutoCAD, Sketch-up, Adobe Creative Suite package, and Microsoft office. Revit, Rhino and Grasshopper experience would be an advantage.
- Flexible and adaptable
- Creative thinker
- Problem solver
- Interested in learning
- Enthusiastic and driven
Join a talented team
Gillespies is passionate about design and dedicated to making a positive impact on the built environment. We offer great opportunities to develop your design skills and professional knowledge, within a supportive and stimulating work environment. Our studios are creative and sociable, with an international team of talented designers.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits
- A ‘flexi-hours’ scheme to allow for a healthy work-life balance.
- 2 days a week working from home for full-time employees or 1 day a week for part-time employees.
Note: Due to the current pandemic our teams are working remotely from home until the 21st of June.
Please email your CV and portfolio to London.firstname.lastname@example.org (10MB max). References will be required.
Gillespies is an equal opportunities employer. We regret that we can only respond to successful applications.
No agencies, please.