Head of Communications and Marketing - Maternity cover 12-month contract - London, UK
Gillespies is a leading landscape design and masterplanning practice with an outstanding reputation for delivering responsibly designed, transformative and award-winning spaces that add real value to people's lives. We work with forward-thinking clients on pioneering projects that push the boundaries in creativity, innovation and sustainability.
The practice has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Head of Communications and Marketing to join the firm’s London studio for a period of maternity cover.
Location: Clerkenwell, London, UK
Contract: Temporary 12-month Maternity Cover, Full time (37.5 hrs per week)
Reports to: Partner responsible for Communications and Marketing
Purpose of the role
The Head of Communications and Marketing will be responsible for coordinating and delivering effective communications for the practice’s four UK studios, promoting the firm through press, public relations and supporting new business activity. The Head of Communications and Marketing is responsible for managing a graphic and bid support team in the London studio.
Press and Public Relations:
- Act as the first point of contact for all media queries
- Liaise with PR professionals at client and co-professional organisations to maximise PR presence for the firm in their publicity.
- Liaise with internal project leads to deliver project PR plans
- Write press releases and news stories for internal circulation, print and online media.
- Collate and distribute visual material for press and other publications
- Commission photography and films
- Manage an awards calendar and produce award submissions
- Ensure the brand is presented in a consistent and high-quality manner.
Website and social media:
- Responsible for managing the website, including writing project text and news stories
- Responsible for maintaining a presence on social media sites including Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram and creating engaging content
- Developing and implementing a social media strategy
- · Maintain the internal intranet system and ensure a consistent flow of current information on Gillespies' projects and other activities to staff via the internal intranet system
Marketing and Business Development:
- Proactively manage the Senior Management Team’s new business activities, coordinating review sessions and maintaining a database of activities and outcomes.
- Assist the Partners in strategising and preparing for business presentations and meetings
- Conduct specific market/ client research, as required
- Maintain the central intranet database of projects experience for use in Bids.
- Liaise with professional bodies to maintain a strong industry profile and ensure a presence in key industry directories
- Manage the graphics team in generating practice brochures, credentials, and case studies
- Coordinate digital marketing efforts and maintain a list of contacts
- Keep compliance systems up to date with firm information for key markets and maintain a list of tender portals.
- Manage the bid team and oversee bid submissions for quality, compliance and consistency.
- Generate text for bids and marketing assets – text for specific tender questions, CV text, brochure text and project descriptions
- Oversee maintenance of OpenAsset, the photographic database of project and related material
- Manage all external marketing events for the practice
- Manage all approaches for inclusion in public speaking opportunities and exhibitions
- Manage a calendar of events and conferences
- Approve timesheets and expenses for Corporate and Local marketing in VantagePoint
- Develop and maintain a corporate and local marketing budgets
- Manage the update of all company policies and certificates
- Production of graphs to keep track of business revenue across disciplines and sectors, when required by Partners
- A degree in English, PR or Marketing and/or at least four years' experience in a communications role, ideally in an architectural practice or PR Consultancy.
- Adobe InDesign CC expertise is essential
- Excellent writing, editorial, and communications skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft software is essential;
- Familiarity with the OJEU process and completing EOIs, PQQ’s and RFPs
- An understanding of social media (Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn)
Essential Skills & Experience
- Experience in managing budgets and forecasting
- Experience in developing and implementing a marketing strategy would be beneficial
- Experience in developing and implementing corporate brand and brand guidelines
- Experience in managing social media platforms and generating campaigns
- Excellent project management skills
- Effective team player who can manage and motivate people
- Proven ability to write across a variety of platforms
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Ability to set achievable goals and prioritise multiple work streams;
- Strong written communication, organisational and interpersonal skills;
- Confidence to liaise with senior management and external client teams;
- Meticulous attention to detail and a good eye for graphic presentation;
- Ability to work well under pressure and to demanding deadlines
- Ability to liaise with internal stakeholders and a wide variety of external consultants, clients and journalists in a professional manner.
- Strategic and creative thinker
- A motivator/leader
- Proactive, can-do attitude
- Attention to detail
- Problem solver
- Flexible and adaptable
- Team player
Join a talented team
Gillespies is passionate about design and dedicated to making a positive impact on the built environment. We offer great opportunities to develop your design skills and professional knowledge within a supportive and stimulating work environment. Our studios are creative and sociable, with an international team of talented designers.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits
- A ‘flexi-hours’ scheme to allow for a healthy work-life balance.
- 2 days a week working from home for full-time employees or 1 day a week for part-time employees.
If you think you are a suitable match for this role, please email your CV and portfolio to email@example.com (10MB max).
All candidates must be available to start by 12th September, if not before.
References will be required.
Gillespies is an equal opportunities employer. We regret that we can only respond to successful applications.