Associate Urban Designer, Clerkenwell, London
Gillespies is a leading landscape design and masterplanning practice with an outstanding reputation for delivering responsibly-designed, transformative and award-winning spaces that add real value to people's lives. We work with forward-thinking clients on pioneering projects that push the boundaries in creativity, innovation and sustainability. We have offices throughout the UK, and an exciting national and international portfolio of projects.
We are looking for an Associate Urban Designer to oversee our expanding Urban Design team, in our London studio (currently working remotely). The Associate Urban Designer will underpin our recent expansion, to manage our growing team, deliver current projects and build upon our portfolio with new work.
This role will report to and support the Head of Masterplanning and Urbanism, who heads up a team of 12 Urban Designers of various levels and therefore you should demonstrate inspirational leadership and mentoring abilities.
Gillespies’ Urban Design team has a strong focus on multidisciplinary practices and undertakes a variety of projects internationally and nationally, from new cities to public realms. We think strategically in the context of international city making trends, and employ our design skills towards the creation of people-oriented places.
You should be passionate about urban design, masterplanning and city making and love the wonderful complexity of design challenges it presents. You will be required to be at ease with all elements of masterplanning – from collaboration with socio-economic consultants, through to delivering detailed masterplans and design codes.
Ideally, you will be available immediately and must have have a mix of experience working on UK and Middle Eastern masterplanning projects.
Key aspects of the role of Associate Urban Designer:
- Take lead in assigned urban design related and multi-disciplinary projects covering urban regeneration projects, development master plans, new cities, regional plans and urban strategies
- Drive business development for the Urban Design unit and broaden the client base
- Prepare project budgets, monitor costs and deliver projects within set budget
- Liaise with clients and community stakeholders
- Propose design led options/solutions to problems
- Produce high-quality bids and successful tender presentations
The ideal candidate would demonstrate the following qualities:
- Self-starter - able to work independently
- Aptitude for business development and winning new work
- Willing to take risks
- Independent proposal writing
- Confidence to take a lead on projects independently and undertake design meetings
- Project management, including consultant team management and client management
- Ability to design independently and understand full complexities of urban design, e.g. transport, economics and design codes.
- Team leader - organise the work of junior team members and lead projects, internally
- Ability to present and report clearly
- Presence and authority
- Ability to manage programs, contracts and deliverables
- Awareness of contemporary urban discourse, with the ability to apply it to projects, as appropriate
- Ability to negotiate all scales: from regional plans to interface with built form and landscape
- Experience working on UK projects would be an advantage
Qualifications and skills required:
- Urban design or Architecture Degree
- Background in a relevant subject, e.g. town planning or architecture
- Excellent design skills
- Extensive experience in the field of urban design
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite
If you are interested in joining our team, we would love to hear from you. Please send your CV and portfolio (max 10mb) to London.email@example.com.
Gillespies LLP is an equal opportunities employer.