Associate Landscape Architects - London, UK - Permanent full-time role + hybrid working
Gillespies is a leading landscape design and masterplanning practice with an outstanding reputation for delivering responsibly designed, transformative and award-winning spaces that add real value to people's lives. We work with forward-thinking clients on pioneering projects that push the boundaries in creativity, innovation and sustainability. We have offices throughout the UK and an exciting national and international portfolio of projects. The pandemic has strengthened the importance of delivering well-designed healthy spaces that are inclusive for all. Gillespies is leading a new nature led urbanism, and we are looking for a passionate and highly talented designer to help us redefine the landscapes of our time.
We have exciting opportunities for design-focused Associate Landscape Architects to join the London Studio on a permanent basis to support our growing business. The Associate will lead and manage a multidisciplinary team (made of Principals,
Senior Landscape Architects and Graduates) in order to deliver high-level
concept design for UK and International projects and grow our portfolio with
new business acquisitions. Therefore, the successful candidate will be an
experienced landscape professional who can operate at a senior level,
demonstrating a wide range of project experience and an excellent track record
in design and project delivery.
Key aspects of the role of Associate:
- Develop creative design ideas in collaboration with the team
- Oversee and lead a number of projects at all design stages
- Proactively support business development activities including bidding, preparing fee proposals, as well as networking and client relations
- Create and maintain all project fee resource plans, monitor costs and deliver projects within a set budget
- Protect profitability or mitigate liability of the Practice, informing relevant Partners of problems regarding construction, cost or design standards & recommend feasible solutions
- Ensure all projects are adequately resourced and delegate project tasks
- Ensure cross-fertilisation and sharing of experience and technical knowledge across management teams
- Identify training needs of team members and mentor them; motivate, encourage and support members of staff
- Liaise with clients and community stakeholders
- Develop sound concept design ideas in collaboration with the team
- Lead bid submissions with the support of the graphics team
- Assist with the recruitment and selection of new employees
- Support the marketing activities for your respective projects
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following qualities:
- Self-starter - able to work independently
- Aptitude for business development and winning new work
- Independent proposal writing
- Confidence to take the lead on projects independently and undertake design meetings
- Project management, including consultant team management and client management
- Ability to design independently and understand the full complexities of landscape design
- Team leader - organise the work of junior team members and lead projects internally.
- Ability to present and report clearly
- Ability to manage programs, contracts and deliverables
- Experience working on UK projects would be an advantage
Qualifications and skills required:
- Landscape qualification
- Background in a relevant subject, e.g. landscape, planning or architecture.
- Excellent design skills
- 10 + years of experience in the landscape field
- Fully Professionally qualified – Chartered Member of LI (CMLI) or equivalent
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite
- Flexible and adaptable
- Creative thinker
- Problem solver
- Interested in learning
- Enthusiastic and driven
Join a talented team
Gillespies is passionate about design and dedicated to making a positive impact on the built environment. We offer great opportunities to develop your design skills and professional knowledge within a supportive and stimulating work environment. Our studios are creative and sociable, with an international team of talented designers.
- A competitive salary with a range of benefits
- A ‘flexi-hours’ scheme to allow for a healthy work-life balance.
- 2 days a week working from home for full-time employees or 1 day a week for part-time employees.
Note: Due to the current pandemic, our teams generally work remotely from home but our Studios remain open for those who can't work from home.
If you think you are a suitable match for this role, Please email your CV and portfolio to email@example.com (10MB max). References will be required.
Gillespies is an equal opportunities employer. We regret that we can only respond to successful applications.
No agencies, please.